Magazine - Enrolment Tips
Advice on enroling on a course.
Before you enrol
A quick checklist of questions to ensure you have the information you need to move forward.
- Get confirmation of the course location, start date and end date.
- If a fee is required, how much is it? When is payment required and how can you pay?
- Will the course require any special materials or will they all be provided?
- If the course leads to a qualification, is it based on practical/assignment based work, an exam or a combination of the two?
- Does the course have an prerequisites? For example, completion of an entry level or foundation course first.
- Have you obtained detail of the course contents from the provider?
- If the course was unavailable (popular courses might get fully booked) are there any alternatives available?
It will often pay dividends to start looking for a course and completing your initial fact finding sooner rather than later. Many popular courses could get booked up in advance. However, don't be disappointed if this happens to you, try the following tips:-
- Look for a similar course at a different location or from a different provider.
- Check if you can be put on a cancellation list if somebody unexpectedly has to cancel.
- Ask if the provider can allow you to pre-book for the next available course.
Before you start
Some quick tips to get you off to a smooth start:-
- Put a reminder into your calendar / diary of the start date and time.
- If you are unfamiliar with the location put the postcode into one of the Maps.
- Plot your travel route and the options available.
- Check if there is anything you need to bring along to the first session. For example, your payment or it may be some appropriate materials or clothing.